Take a peek into my thoughts. Be loved, be enlightened, be blessed..

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Leaving Home

Last Sunday, he was feeling like a grown-up man. The idea that he would be crossing the sea alone to the mainland was a manifestation of independence. He was finally walking out of the fortress that was home to him for 16 years. It was also a release from mom’s watchful eye to a new world waiting for him.


My little brat was now ready for university to take a five-year degree in computer engineering. On the day he left, he made certain that his stuff were all in his bag. At the lunch table earlier, he told me to feed the cats while he was away. Feeding the equally bratty pets had been a responsibility he took with commitment.


Then the time I dreaded came: bye-bye time. By twelve noon, he got ready to leave for the port while I gave some last-minute reminders: eat on time, study well, be punctual to school, take your cough medicine, watch out for swine flu, etc. He quieted me by scooping my face with both of his hands and plowing two noisy kisses on my cheek. The kind of kiss I plowed onto his cheek when he was a little boy. He also planted a loving kiss on his dad's cheek as they left for the port. I followed him with my sight until he was gone. The house was suddenly empty and I sniffled at the thought that my son is no longer a baby.

No comments: